Monday, March 21, 2011

Music Monday: What are you listening to?

Well, today is definitely Monday. Not only is it raining, but I slept through my morning class (whoops). Then when I went to pour myself a bowl of Cheerio's, we didn't have any milk left in the apartment. At that point, I decided to grab a granola bar and climb back in bed, which is where I'm blogging from now. Nothing like waking up and then deciding to delay the start of your day another hour or so.

I'm not surprised that I slept so late though; I'm currently re-fueling after my trip to Boston this week. Turns out Boston and Philadelphia, despite being on the same coast, are not close. The six hour Amtrak ride from 30th Street Station to Back Bay was absolutely grueling. Someone that I was waiting on line with beforehand described it by saying that, "after a while, you just kindof go numb." Well, that definitely happened. I was numb. But I couldn't sleep. I took the Megabus back, which wasn't half as awful, and he got us there a full 40 minutes earlier than he was supposed to, making the trip just barely five and a half hours.

Despite the travel, it really was a great weekend. I got to see some of my best friends (whose presence in my life was desperately needed) and meet a lot of new people. We had a great time just walking around the city, getting lunch, and then hanging out at my friend Matt's apartment at night. There were five of us visiting, so the living room was a site to see with four blow up mattresses littering the floor.

Anyway, enough about my life and my weekend and on to the good stuff: the lists. Here are five songs that I can not stop listening to, no matter how hard I try.

1. Kanye West-All of the Lights
I've been a Kanye West fan for a while; his first CD (especially the song "We Don't Care") is still in my car and more often than not is blaring in the summer. He may not be a great role model, but his songs are good, fun and catchy. I just love the beat on this one...and I pretty much love any song that features Rihanna on the hook.

2. Glee Cast- Get it Right
I think we've established on here before that I'm a major Gleek. That being said, once they did original songs, I fell in love with them. There is nothing that makes me happier than Lea Michele belting something out. Her voice is entrancing.

3.Arcade Fire- We Used to Wait
Arcade Fire is definitely one of my favorite bands. Since Neon Bible, they've created amazing songs that are original and fun. They're not synthesized like so many other things are these days either, which is totally refreshing. This song is one of my favorites of theirs, and has been on every playlist I've made since October. Plus...they won Album of the Year at the Grammy's! They were the clear underdogs, but they deserved it.

4. John Mayer-Free Fallin'
Without a doubt, one of my favorite songs of all time. I know that the original version, by Tom Petty, is amazing, but can you honestly deny John Mayer's voice? He performed this song last summer at the concert I attended, and it was the first time he'd played it throughout the tour. I swear, it was like he knew I was waiting for it. Whenever the day is rainy or my mood is down, tihs song immediately goes on.

5. Jason Mraz- You and I Both
Throwback? Yes, please. This song will never get old. Jason Mraz was slated to be a One-Hit Wonder with this one, but he definitely pulled through and came out on top. The entire rest of this CD is amazing, and his new stuff is great, too. This song just makes me happy. I can't help but smile and sing along. You probably can't either. Admit it, you know every word.

So there it is: five songs that will probably get me through this rough, rough day that is ahead. Hopefully it's a fluke and the bad-day blues will go away!

After a great weekend, I'm ready for (hopefully) a great week ahead. I'm also planning on attending a show called "Art into Fashion" at the Philadelphia Museum of Art this upcoming weekend, so expect a huge post about that! I'll be back before then, though.... see you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I need to check out some of the songs you posted on Youtube...right now I'm really into Adele's new album :)

    www.featherfactor.com

    ReplyDelete